OpenText Email Management for Microsoft Exchange
Curb the rampant growth, cost, and risk of mismanaged corporate email
Email is without question a revolutionary communication tool that transformed the way we do business. But despite its unparalleled utility, the mismanagement, paired with rampant and insurmountable growth, has made email a staggering liability for every corporation.
The challenges associated with mismanaged email are multifold and complex, least of which is the substantial IT cost and complexity associated with maintaining the mail environment, and the frustration faced by end users who are overwhelmed by the volume of email they deal with on a daily basis. However the most pressing issue companies today face concerning email is that of litigation risk and cost—and the fact that, simply put, the unchecked growth of electronically stored information is unsustainable.
The more information we generate, and in turn save, to greater the cost and risk we incur throughout the litigation and other discovery-driven processes. Accordingly, companies are compelled to resolve two fundamental email challenges:
- Automate and safeguard the disposal of unimportant and low-value email
- Capture and retain business value and intended record email according to policy
OpenText™ Email Management for Microsoft Exchange is designed to help companies identify and capture only the email messages that are useful or important to keep. But it’s not just about capturing and saving the business value and intended record email.
In today’s litigious world and cost-conscious economy, a responsible and structured way to dispose of unimportant, transitory email is critical. OpenText Email Management provides a highly configurable disposition engine that examines the contents in user mailboxes, and enforces deletions against inconsequential email after a specified time frame.
- Apply lifecycle controls, retention and records management classifications and permissions for Office365 email
- Curb costs throughout the e-discovery process
- Mitigate legal risk associated with mismanaged email
- Adopt and demonstrate good governance practices by retaining email in accordance with policy
- Improve user experience and productivity, helping users find important email more quickly and reliably
- Reduce cost and complexity of IT environment
- Provide flexibility with an environment that can scale to accommodate not just email but all electronically stored information
- Classify-on-file: Users can select an existing folder in their mailbox (or, as readily create a new one) and assign a classification to it. Assigning a classification to a folder is a simple one-click process. And from that point forward, all messages already in the folder, and those filed into it subsequently are classified accordingly. OpenText Email Management enables users to map classification behaviors into their existing Inbox structure, and continue working on as they always have.
- Classify-in-place: OpenText Email Management also provides the capacity to classify-in-place—without having to move a message into any particular location, a user can simply apply a classification from the ribbon within Microsoft Outlook while reading it. The ability to classify-in-place enables users to identify messages according to business context while organizing them in a fashion that suits their own personal working habits.
- Classify-on-send: OpenText Email Management allows users to apply classifications to outgoing new messages with a simple selection from the ribbon in Microsoft Outlook. And internal recipients are able to see the classification the sender chose, meaning that more often than not, it saves recipients the time and effort of having to take any classification action themselves.
- Role-based classification picklists: Classification choices presented to users to based on their function in the company, ensuring users always have a simple but targeted selection of declaration options. To deal with atypical messages, users can always access a broader view of classification options, based on what they have access rights to work with.
- Automated capture of classified messages: Once email messages have been classified by users, OpenText Email Management examines the mailbox on a periodic basis and extracts any classified emails. Such messages are placed into the appropriate location in the OpenText ECM Suite repository, where their retention and disposition is fully controlled in accordance with policy.
- Preserve access with simple shortcuts: Even though classified messages are extracted from user mailboxes and placed into a managed system under complete corporate control, the access paradigm to those emails remains intact. Extracted emails are replaced in the mailbox by shortcuts, which point to the captured message—meaning users can always click an item in their mailbox, which retrieves and opens the original messages just like it always did.
- Delay extract with a configurable “grace period”: A configurable “grace period” allows companies to specify a time period during which users can “change their minds” about a selected classification. During the grace period, users can amend a classification decision without needing, for instance, to initiate a formal request workflow to a records administrator. Once the grace period elapses, messages are committed to the managed repository and can no longer be modified by users in any way.
- Configurable deletion of transitory email: To help curb the rampant growth of email, OpenText Email Management periodically removes unimportant and non-business value email from user mailboxes. The system will never dispose of any message that a user has identified as having business value, until the appropriate corporate policy indicates it is appropriate to do so.
- User-friendly email management assistant: A powerful email management assistant provides users with a real-time view into what’s happening in their managed mailbox. Information about how an individual email is being managed, as well as an automatically generated view of messages pending deletion is always at each user’s fingertips—ensuring opportunity is always provided to review unimportant email and ensure anything useful to save can be retained.
- Tamper-proof and cost-effective long-term storage: Built on the proven email archiving backbone that stores the business critical emails of millions of mailboxes around the world, OpenText Email Management ensures that all captured emails are compressed (with attachments “single-instanced”), stored securely, and cost-effectively within your long-term storage environment.
- Industry-leading records management engine: OpenText’s industry-leading records management engine provides the intelligence that maps classifications to retention and disposition policies in the managed ECM repository. All captured content is always under the formal control of the corporation, readily accessible via search, and can be quickly put on litigation hold as required.
- Visibility and auditing: Dedicated audit trails provide visibility into content managed in the ECM repository, ensuring that access to, disposition, destruction, and other actions taken against captured messages are recorded and readily available in the event of investigations.
- Information accessibility and retrieval: Full text search capabilities provide users with immediate and firsthand access to captured email messages, and give records administrators, legal staff, and other authorities a targeted point of access into the business critical and intended record emails of the corporation.
- Large-scale PST ingestion: A dedicated PST ingestion engine allows organizations to target file shares and other locations where legacy PST files exist. A scheduled service automates the identification and ingestion of messages in PST files into the managed repository—even repopulates shortcuts back into the user’s mailbox, providing them with immediate access to the archived messages.
Having the most current maintenance records is very important for the efficient running of our assets and the safety of our people. You know you can trust what's in OpenText.
Clint Wentworth, Manager, IS Project, NuStar Energy
Microsoft Partner of the Year Award 2015
OpenText was honored for demonstrating excellence in innovation and implementation of customer solutions based on Microsoft technology.
Featured ECM Downloads
Learn more about Open Text Email Management: