OpenText Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Program
At OpenText, we're committed to contributing to sustainable development with environmental and societal goals. The foundations of our Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Program align with our corporate values: to foster trust with our customers, employees, partners, and shareholders; demonstrate excellence; continually innovate; cultivate the Company as the best place to work; and to ensure our customers are successful.
Our Corporate Social Responsibility Program is modeled on the seven social responsibility core subjects of the International Organization for Standardization Guideline for Social Responsibility (ISO 26000).
One of the seven social responsibility core subjects in ISO 26000 is Organizational Governance, which depicts how an organization acts and its ability to behave in a socially responsible manner. This core subject guides organizational decision making and influences how individuals within an organization achieve their objectives for governance. In the context of social responsibility, Organizational Governance ensures decisions are not solely weighted on financial gain. In addition to Organizational Governance, the other six social responsibility core subjects are: Community Involvement and Development, the Environment, Human Rights, Labor Practices, Fair Operating Practices, and Consumer Issues.
OpenText has developed a system of processes, practices, and policies which reinforce the guiding principles that employees operate under, including, but not limited to, ethical conduct and workplace safety. Trust is one of our core values, and is vitally important to maintaining our company’s position as a market leader. OpenText continues to nurture and maintain the trust of all of its stakeholders, including the communities in which we operate.
Gaining trust starts with understanding the Code of Business Conduct and Ethics Policy and then putting it into practice every day. This policy explains our ethical standards and how we conduct business on behalf of OpenText.
Community Involvement and Development
OpenText and its employees are dedicated to our roles as responsible corporate citizens. As a global leader in our industry, we have a great responsibility to give back to our communities around the world, whether it be through monetary support or voluntary commitment, to efforts which better our communities. Through numerous initiatives, we support education and innovation for global change, community involvement, children and families, and global disaster relief programs. Our corporate giving programs help ensure we direct our resources where the most impact will be made.
OpenText is committed to protecting the environment and reducing waste. Wherever possible, OpenText promotes the efficient use of energy and natural resources, innovative solutions to reduce emissions or pollutants, and environmentally safe disposal methods. To this end, OpenText:
- Routinely assesses the impact that its activities have on the locations where it operates, its generation of pollution and waste, as well as its impact on natural habitats.
- Implements programs based on a sustainability perspective to assess, avoid, reduce, and mitigate the environmental risk and impacts of its activities.
- Follows the principles of Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle as the primary initiative to support our environmental responsibilities. For example, in various locations, OpenText has:
- Implemented recycling programs in our offices
- Installed drinking water filtration systems to reduce the use of bottled water
- Provided shuttle services between facilities to encourage energy conservation
- Constructed Site Leader programs to assist in monitoring employee environmental impact
- Deployed our own software technology wherever possible to enable employee and team collaboration across the globe reducing the need for business travel
- Encouraged employees to take additional actions, both big and small, to help protect the environment. For example:
- During Earth Week, we challenge employees to do one thing for the environment and post and share achievements on our internal social network
- We recognize employees for their participation in the community or environmental projects during Earth Week with Champion of the Environment Awards
- We encourage employees to participate in the Earth Day Clean Up on our property and surrounding areas
- We participate in Earth Hour
As part of our mandate to help organizations thrive in a digital world, OpenText is proud to have significantly reduced the world’s reliance on paper and physical storage facilities through the implementation and use of our software solutions. Our Enterprise Information Management solutions decrease the business requirements for paper by making electronic documents readily available to people from anywhere using a laptop, a smartphone, or a tablet. Over 150 million users access our solutions across the world, each one performing their work on documents or online media and contributing to the reduction of waste, unnecessary recycling, and the reduction of physical facility storage space to minimize their carbon footprint.
At OpenText, our human rights policies and efforts are focused on respecting the rights of all employees. We encourage a healthy, open, and inclusive working environment in which employees, suppliers, partners, and customers respect the value of human life and support social progress. OpenText has policies in place to support human rights, including:
- The Occupational Health and Safety Policy applies to all employees and ensures that employees are provided with a safe and healthy working environment. OpenText recognizes that an effective health and safety program is an integral part of every job activity in all of its operations.
- The Whistleblower Policy is committed to maintaining a workplace in which employees, officers, and directors can raise concerns on a confidential basis, free from discrimination, retaliation, or harassment, anonymously or otherwise.
- The Employment Equity and Diversity Policy provides direction on maintaining a working environment that is inclusive of everyone, regardless of culture, national origin, race, color, gender, gender identification, sexual orientation, family status, age, veteran status, disability, or religion, or other basis, protected by applicable laws. We believe that a diverse workforce positively impacts our ability to innovate.
- OpenText Talent Acquisition principles and processes support the equal treatment of applicants and/or employees. Being an equal opportunity employer has significant positive results in attracting and engaging talent.
- The Accommodation Policy and Accessibility Policy ensures that employees with a need for accommodation are recognized and barriers to their performance are removed wherever possible.
OpenText values and respects its employees. We are committed to providing direction for and leadership to our own people through the development and support of labor guidelines, policies, and practices designed to benefit both individuals and the company. We encourage the organizations we do business with to follow these principles and respect the privilege and responsibility to uphold them as employers. To this end, OpenText:
- Is frequently recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers based on provisions for working conditions and a family-friendly environment.
- Creates an environment based on respect for individuals and their needs, recognizing that a culture based on mutual respect is conducive to higher levels of productivity, teamwork, and collaboration.
- Supports an "employment equitable" work environment, free from discrimination of any kind. All employees share in this responsibility. Our working environment will, at all times, be supportive of the dignity and self-esteem of its employees.
- Puts policies in place to prevent discrimination, communicates these policies, and ensures that all employees participate in training. The Workplace Harassment & Discrimination Policy explains that harassment or discrimination of any kind undermines the integrity of our culture and will not be tolerated. All individuals have a right to work in a harassment-free and discrimination-free workplace.
Fair Operating Practices
Open Text is committed to conducting its business ethically and in compliance with the letter and spirit of all applicable laws. Each OpenText employee is responsible for maintaining this standard of excellence by acting with courage, integrity, honesty, and respect. OpenText pledges to conduct business fairly, to promote fair competition, and to hold itself accountable for its own ethical practices.
The OpenText Code of Business Conduct and Ethics Policy:
- Explains our ethical standards, how we apply fair operating practices, and how employees conduct business on behalf of OpenText.
- Covers topics such as, but not limited to:
- Anti-Corruption and Anti-Bribery
- Compliance with Laws and Trade Laws
- Insider Trading via the OpenText Insider Trading Policy
- Commitment to providing full, fair, accurate, timely, and understandable disclosure in all public communications, including the reports and documents filed with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and other applicable regulatory bodies
- Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Terrorist Financing
- Corporate Giving
- Data Privacy via the OpenText Data Protection Policy and Email, Internet and Social Computing Policy
OpenText has built active controls to comply with Export Control & Compliance requirements and Sanction laws from various countries, including those of the United States, Canada, and the member states of the European Union to ensure ethical business conduct related to the transfer of goods and services.
OpenText supports over 100,000 global companies in 114 countries and 12 languages to bring people together, share knowledge, protect sensitive information and achieve excellence. Combined with our Human Rights strategy, OpenText endeavors to provide world-class customer service, so that our customers can maximize their investments in OpenText solutions and services.
Our relationships with our customers are central to our success. Specific programs that nurture these include:
- The Voice of the Customer program, through which we gather customer insights and incorporate them into our everyday business decisions.
- The OpenText Customer Care program brings decades of software expertise to our customers through a variety of programs and services focused on helping them plan, deploy, and maintain their OpenText solutions.